Thank you to Éric Deschênes – IRV Head of Cyr 2013-2022
Looking for a new Head of Cyr Wheel 2023+
At the beginning of 2022, after nine years as IRV Head of Cyr, Éric Deschênes decided that it was time to pass the baton on to the next generation. With increased responsibilities in his professional life, he was no longer able to commit enough of his time to follow up further development of IRV Cyr activities.
Cyr Wheel was first included in the IRV World Championships in 2013 in Chicago, USA, where the competition regulations were created by André St-Jean & Éric Deschênes (both affiliated with the National Circus School in Montreal, Canada) in co-operation with Wolfgang Bientzle (USA Wheel Gymnastics). Since then, under the direction of Éric and in collaboration with colleagues from the IRV and the German Gymnastics Federation (DTB), the Cyr Wheel Code of Points has been developed to its current version (4.1a), which was implemented for the first time at the 2022 World Championships in Sonderburg, Denmark.
We are extremely grateful for the expertise Éric has brought to the IRV over the last nine years. The Cyr Difficulty Catalogue and categorisation of skills is the product of Éric’s knowledge and guidance. We have learned a lot and are immensely grateful for the time he has invested to bring the Cyr Wheel Code of Points to where it is today. In the future, we know we have a good friend in Montreal, where Éric is program coordinator for Gym and Cyr wheel at the Canadian National Circus School.
The IRV is now actively looking for a new Head of Cyr to promote and develop international competitive Cyr Wheel activities for the IRV. This position needs to be filled in the first half of 2023 for us to be able to plan for an individual Cyr Wheel World Championship competition in 2024.
Please help us to circulate the announcement below as widely as possible:
Head of Cyr Wheel 2023+
The IRV is looking for a volunteer to lead the continued development of international competitive Cyr Wheel activities from 2023.
- Lead preparations for future IRV Cyr Wheel World Championships with a point of departure in the current IRV Cyr Wheel Regulations
- Lead the continued development of the IRV Cyr Wheel Regulations, including planning and implementation of judges’ training
- Further develop the Cyr Wheel “Battle” concept for use within the framework of international Wheel Gymnastics events
Desired qualifications and background:
- Motivation and enthusiasm for the task at hand – a burning desire to sucCYRd 😇
- Ability to work well (both remotely and in person) in an international team where English is the main working language and team members are spread around the world
- Sufficient knowledge of Cyr Wheel to take on the above-mentioned responsibilities
What the IRV can offer:
- The opportunity to work with a highly motivated international team of wheel gymnastics enthusiasts
- Fully financed attendance at IRV Wheel Gymnastics World Championships where Cyr is part of the competition programme
- Support from and cooperation with IRV core team members with knowledge of the current Cyr Wheel Regulations and online database
How to apply:
- Send a letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include relevant experience for the task description above
- Applications will be evaluated on a continuous basis
- If you have any questions, please contact Maria Sollohub (email@example.com or tel. +47-91585623)
Application deadline: 31 January 2023